Thursday, February 3, 2011

Controversy in Math?!

During my class meeting last night, our moderator asked us to reflect on an issue/topic that has caused heated discussion in mathematics among mathematicians/math educators and those who are not members of those groups.

Our small group of three seemed to have very good ideas on some topics.  One member thought of multiplication and methods used among educators.  I didn't realize this would be an issue...after listening in on the discussion, that is something that I never thought about...this has triggered me to do a few searches on the subject...
http://www.virtual.net.au/~bhandley/lua2.htm
http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-teach-multiplication-a81961
and the following was shared by our moderator during the meeting: 
http://threesixty360.wordpress.com/25-ways-to-multiply/
I guess, being at the high school level, and never having taught below grade 8, this is a topic I  never thought would be so "heated".

Another group member piggy-backed off of my "topic" of testing...and its value.  She expanded on my thoughts of how/and WHY some students learn and accept, while some are resistant to mathematics.  She brought up many interesting points.  For example, as educators/professionals who attend conferences and workshop about our passion (mathematics) why do so many flock to the technology...and not the psychology of our subject...I have to admit I am guilty of such a thing...this made me reflect on the last conference I attended (AMTNJ) and I did just that.  I have been so involved in the new "21st century" classroom concept, web 2.0 and technology integration, that I feel I have drifted away from the students themselves...is this wrong? 

My topic of testing...in particular testing in mathematics, seems to be changing.  Currently, I find that my state is turning towards a new standards-based, problem-based assessment, rather than plug and chug and short-and-sweet math problems.  They seem to be including the higher-order thinking skills that are so desperately needed.  The assessments seem to be blending math topics as well as testing individual skills...it's about time!  However, this is going to require us, as educators, to start thinking outside the box..or should I say the book!

I am looking forward to reading what my "meeting mates" discover and discuss about their topics!

5 comments:

  1. I really liked the 25+ ways to multiply, you don't really know something until you know it multiple ways. (believe this is a Marvin Minsky quote)
    The question I have is how can we get kids into the habit of thinking about how to solve problems in multiple ways?

    They start out good at divergent thinking when they are young (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U) and then seem to go down over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    One of my strategies that I have found successful has been presenting a problem to my students, giving them some down time to think it out...and having each student write down at least 5 questions they have about the problem I have given them. Under no circumstances are they to solve or give their solution in these questions.

    They drop them in the question box, and I let students pick from the box and we discuss the answers to the questions as a group. I am amazed time after time how there can be many different interpretations/views of one problem among my students.
    This method gives my students the opportunity to see how their classmates viewed the problem, and usually by the end of the class, if they haven't solved it already, just about all of the students have solved the problem their own way or with the help of their classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernadette,

    You said: "having each student write down at least 5 questions they have about the problem"

    What a great idea!!! This is a great way to get kids into the habit of asking questions (hopefully we can guide them to asking good ones). It also provides anonymity for the shy ones.

    I really like this approach and will incorporate it into my next class. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how you make out...it's like a suggestion box :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of a better way for you to teach math! Problem based learning has meaning for students and they will tend to understand and remember more if there is a true connection made. If they then have to explain or reteach something to others, jackpot! they are now internalizing the information that much more and now are on even a better course for understanding! Technology is not the enemy. It is just one more way of helping students learn. It can be used in many ways. It is not doing the problems for the students but can be used as a way of researching, watching, trying things out on their own and making mistakes, yet there is still learning happening. Plug and chug is old and I feel using technology in the classroom today is a better method at times. Of course students need to understand why they are doing a problem a certain way, they should know math facts from the top of their head, but why not use technology to help them figure it out or give them a different way to solve a problem? I am happy you are open to this and do not fear, there are many who just do not understand, not that they are mean or want to fight, but it is just so different to them that it is really uncomfortable. That is why professional development is so important when it comes to technology!

    ReplyDelete