Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 3: Shifting Ground with Web 2.0

Is there really a need for Web 2.0 in the classroom?  What was wrong with the way "we" learned things?  Afterall...we are doing ok for ourselves aren't we?

This is the argument of many who can't seem to buy into this new technology of Web 2.0.  And, I have to admit, they do have a good argument.  I do seem to do pretty well for myself.  I have my multiplication tables memorized.  I do write well enough to get my point across, and I do know how to read and communicate with others.  By the way, Web 2.0 didn't exist, in fact Web 1.0 was just being born!  So, what's wrong with the "traditional classroom" as opposed to online learning and using technology instead of face-to-face (lecture) methods?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  Online Vs. Classroom outlines a few, and believe me it is not for everyone.  But, those who are for web 2.0 and the non-traditional methods will argue that variety can only enhance the learning process.  Afterall, not everyone learns the same

In my opinion, those who are against "variety", are just plain lazy.  Dylan, is one example why variety in learning is something that needs to be explored.  "I'm not sure I would know my alphabet if I didn't have technology".  Is this really true?  Would Dylan have become one of those children "left behind"?

The overall message I got from this week's readings and videos is best taken from the "Portal to Media Literacy" video:  "Students need to be uploading the world, not downloading". 

This meaning that as educators, we need to provide our students with practical uses for our students of the tools that they use for their daily entertainment.  We need to show them that these tools can engage them in learning how to become better citizens and be competitve in a global society.  However, it is our job to find that balance of f-2-f learning with the techology.  We need to understand and realize that technolgy can and should be secondary at times.  We must know when it is better to collaborate face-to-face, experiment, discover, discuss, and problem-solve in a traditional way and blend it with the use of technology.  Not an easy task to say the least.

For many educators, it could be the "fear" of lettimg go in their classrooms.  The non-traditional classroom and using technology requires the educator to be confident in themselves and have faith in their students.  Things can and most likely will go wrong in the class, but you will be surprised to see that students usually help each other overcome any roadblocks they cross while using new technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment