Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Week 6: Chapter 3

This week's reading gave me some GREAT resources.  Chapter 3 in "Web 2.0-New Tools" focused on just that.  New tools that are being used in the classroom or as resouces for teachers to network with colleagues and educators around the world.  In fact, many of those resources I have added to my Diigo library this week!

Many of the tools, such as this (Blogs) and wikis (wikispaces) I have been using for my own personal use, and with the classes I teach.  What do I like most about the tools featured in this chapter?  They are for the most part...FREE!

What is the biggest problem with many of the tools featured in this chapter...TIME!  I love the fact that there are many open-source items out there..but where do we find the TIME to self-teach/learn how to use them?  And..the bigger question..how do we know when it is best to use what tool?  (This will bring me to my next posting.) 

Also, if we as educators need to spend a lot of outside time learning these tools and how to apply them properly and effectively to our lessons, how long will it take our students to learn them and be comfortable with them in class, completing projects.  Just because they are the "digital natives", that does not mean they will be comfortable using every piece of technology.  And, if they are not comfortable, how will this effect their project/assignment outcome?  Will they be so stressed about using/learning to use the tool that they will lose focus on the assignment at hand?

Overall, I am glad I took the time to read this chapter.  If anything it gave me more resources for my library, and it has raised new questions in my mind...

If we, the self-disciplined, self-motivated, and life-long learners don't have the time and get frustrated with the applications of all of these tools...how can we expect our students to embrace them?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the resources. I was listing them by subject to share with my staff @ school! I can see what you mean about kids getting "lost" in the technology and losing focus on the actual project. I do believe, however, that most of the students will quickly adjust and run with it. The ones who are struggling can be worked with one on one or paired up with a "mentor" student if working in groups. If the entire class is struggling, change the assignment and move on. Ultimately, it is a matter of time wasted that comes into play, so it really just depends on the flexibility of your schedule for mishaps. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete