Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Week 11-PLN

Day after day, week after week, my supervisor sends us link after link.  Hard to keep track of indeed.  I would just bookmark them into my favorites or email them to myself from my work computer, and IF I had time I would explore them later on.  Then, eventually I would add them to my delicious account, then they wound up on my Diigo account. 

Lunchtime, it became a running joke of how many links, emails, and resources we recieved in a day or a week.  Don't get me wrong, the resources for the most part a great.  (In my eyes at least)  This is only because I am into that sort of thing. (Online tools, and Web 2.0)  What I noticed during conversation with my colleagues was that they were having difficulty keeping track of everything, especially if our Supervisor asked us to reference it at some point, things were getting lost in the shuffle.  I recommended delicious and diigo to my co-workers, and many commented that "they just didn't have time for that".  So, with my Supervisors blessing of course, I created a network for our district's math and science departments.  Check it out . 

When I first sent the invitations, no one was responding, they thought it was going to have to be "just one more task to do, and keep track of".  Finally, my supervisor bought into it, checked it out, and having the invitation coming from him, I had a few new members.  I think once those that did join realized it was just a place to house all of those resources he was sending us, and there was nothing they needed to do but have access to it, they bought into it as well.

Not everyone has accepted my "invitation", but hey...it's their loss!   :)

3 comments:

  1. You are right. Those who fail to take the initiative to help themselves are ultimately the ones who loose. And I truly believe every action we take to help others is a small deposit in the Karma bank that will come back with interest.

    This is why I love the personal learning networks and need to more actively participate in mine. There is a group of professionals who want to help each other and better themselves. This is the group to be learning from, and the group to be helping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my administrators have never sent us any links or resources for anything! They are not exactly tech savvy.

    Now that we have sharepoint pages, I plan to create a PLC (professional learning community) group for technology. This will be the place for everyone to dump their links.

    It would be great if you could somehow create a discussion board where your colleagues and yourself (and admin) could post question and engage in discourse much like we have.

    Nice work on your Diigo's!.
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 things - 1. good for your admin for at least attempting to share information, communication at my school is terrible. 2. Awesome that you did this in an attempt to ease everyones frustration. Sometimes the initial setup makes everyone a little more receptive than starting from scratch.

    ReplyDelete